- Lee SW, E.S.F. Li, Pickles AR and Henderson T.O. (2007)
Numerical Modelling of Pile Group and Single Pile Subjected to Uplift and
Inclined Pulling, 16th Southeast Asian Geotechnical Conference, Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia, May.
- Leung W.K., Li C.H. and Pickles AR (2007)
Heaving of airfield pavement at Hong Kong International Airport, Proc. 2007
FAA Worldwide Airport Technology Transfer Conference, Atlantic City, USA
- Pickles AR (2006) The use of instrumentation and monitoring to
verify design and control construction of deep excavations, Key note paper,
Proc. Int. Conf. on deep excavations, Singapore, 2006
- Lee S.W. and Pickles AR (2006) Numerical modelling of laterally
loaded short pile, Proc. 6th European Conference on numerical methods
in geotechnical engineering, Graz, Austria.
- Lee S.W., Pickles AR and Henderson T.O. (2006)
Advanced soil model tunnelling modelling, Proc. seminar on Cavern and
Tunnel Engineering, HKIE Geotechnical Division annual seminar, 2006
- Pickles AR, Lee S.W. and Sun R.F.Y. (2006)
Ground movement of deep excavation in reclamation, Proc. XIII Danube
European Conf. on Geotech. Eng. Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Pickles AR and Henderson T.O. (2005)
Some thoughts on the use of numerical modelling in geotechnical design practice,
Proc. Underground Singapore 2005, Special Session on Numerical Analysis
in Geotechnical Engineering, Singapore
- Hendy M.S., Pickles AR, Lee S.W., Sun T.F., Hirai T and Chan T. (2004)
Surcharging a drained reclamation in Hong Kong, Proc. 15th SE Asian Geotechnical
Society Conf., Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 493-498
- Henderson T.O. and Pickles AR (2004)
Geotechnical Management on Major Infrastructure projects, Geotechnical
Engineering, Volume 158, Issue GE 1
- Pickles AR, Hazan N.N.M. and Lee S.W. (2004)
Suggested amendments to Buildings Department draft code of practice for foundations,
Proc. Conf. Foundation Practice in Hong Kong, Centre for Reseacrh and
- Li E.S.F., Pickles AR, Lee S.W. and Sun R.F.Y. (2004)
Monitoring of ground and wall deformation associated with deep excavation in
recent and old reclamation in Hong Kong, Proceedings of a seminar on Deep
Excavations, Centre for Research and Professional Development, Hong Kong, pp. 83-106
- Pickles AR and Lee S.W. (2004)
Friction bored pile tests in granitic saprolite in Hong Kong, Accepted for publication
in Journal Geotechnical Engineering, Proc. Inst. Civ. Eng., Volume 157
- Pickles AR and Lee S.W. and Tosen R. (2003)
Shaft Capacity of friction piles constructed in saprolite under bentonite and
implications for end bearing piles, Proc. HKIE Geotech Div. Seminar on
Case Histories, 2003
- Lee SW, Pickles AR, Henderson TH and Tosen R (2003)
Settlement and load transfer of bell-out and straight sided socket
bored piles. Accepted for 12th Asian Regional conference of Soil
Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 4-8 August, 2003, Singapore.
- Pickles AR, Lee SW and Norcliffe BAW (2003)
Groundwater and ground movement around deep excavation, Journal Geotechnical
Engineering, Proc. of the Inst. Civil Engs., UK, Vol. 156, July 2003
- Norcliffe BAW, Pickles AR and Lee SW (2002), The use
of recharge wells to mitigate ground settlement On KCRC Contract CC300
Tsuen Wan Station and Approach Tunnels. Proc of Geotechnical Aspects of Mass
Transportation Systems, Geotechnical Division of the Hong
Kong Institutions of Engineers, May, pp. 121-130.
- Pickles, A.R. & Tosen, R. (1998), Predicting the
Total and Differential Settlement of a Reclamation. Proc. 13th
Asian Geotech.Eng Conference., November 1998.
- Pickles, A.R. & Tosen, R. (1998), Settlement
of the Chek Lap Kok Reclamation. Proc. Instn Civ.Engrs.Geotech.Eng.,
- Tosen, R., Pickles, A.R.& Jaros, M.B.J. (1998),
Assessment of Differential Settlement at Chek Lap Kok Airport
Reclamation Site. Proc. HKIE Seminar on ACP Projects.
- Jones, L.W., Covil, C.S. and Pickles, A.R., (1998),
Site characterisation for Hong Kong's new airport at Chek Lap Kok.
Proc. 1st Int. Conf on Site Characterisation, Atlanta, USA.
- Pickles, A.R. and Plant, G.W., (1998), Settlement
of the airport reclamation and implications for airport operations.
Proc Seminar on airport Core Projects, Proc.HKIE Seminar on ACP
- Plant G.W., Covil C.S. and Hughes R.A,, (1998), Site Preparation
for the New Hong Kong International Airport, Chapters 17 and 18
principal author A.R. Pickles. Thomas Telford
- Pickles A R and Covil C S, (1996), Some consequences
of the shortage of human resources in geotechnics in Hong Kong, from
the perspective of a client organisation. Proceedings of a seminar organised
by the GEO, HKIE, Hong Kong.
- Ground Engineering (1996), Geotechnical Aspects of Hong's New Airport.
Contributed articles on Instrumentation Database, Northern Runway
Surcharge and Settlement. Ground Engineering Special Supplement,
- Pickles A.R. and Everton S.J., (1996), Aspects of
the site investigation for the Waterloo International Terminal.
Proc. Int. Conf. on Advances in site investigation practice, Thomas
- Newman, R.L, Covil, C.S., Ng, W.H. and Pickles, A.R.
(1995), Characteristics of the sand fill used in the reclamation
for Hong Kong's new airport at Chek Lap Kok. Proceedings of the Can. Geotech.
- Hight D.W., Higgins K.G., Jardine R.J., Potts D.M., Pickles A.R.,
De Moor E.K. Nyirenda Z.M., (1993), Predicted and measured tunnel
distortions associated with construction of Waterloo International
Terminal. Proc. Wroth memorial Symposium, Oxford.
- Li E S F, Nyirenda Z M and Pickles A R, (1992), Design
and measured performance of diaphragm walls at Waterloo International
Terminal. Proceedings of International conference on retaining
- Pickles A R and Woods R W, (1989), Finite element
studies of an embankment of soft ground. Proceedings of the 3rd
International Symposium on Numerical Models in Geomechanics, Nigara Falls.
- Pickles A R, (1989), The application of critical state
soil mechanics to an embankment constructed on soft alluvium. PhD Thesis,
City University, London.